What to do if you are a BEGINNER
Being new to fitness and gyms can be very overwhelming to most people. They may feel self conscious in that atmosphere, or lost in the process of knowing what to do once they get there. This is totally normal and even expected for new people! Here is my top tips to overcoming the beginner stage, and feeling like you have more control!
1. SHOW UP! This is the biggest factor, it may feel scary for a while but the more you continue to repetitively do something, the less scary it gets. Consistency is key to making progress long term, as well as being comfortable with a gym atmosphere.
2. MASTER THE BASICS FIRST! Learn proper form. Learn the basics like squatting to depth, deadlifting with a flat back, hitting a lat pull down and contracting your back instead of your biceps. It is the little things like this that add up over time to developing your body.
3. DO NOT GO STRAIT TO THE CARDIO SECTION! Cardio machines are comfy for people mentally. You hit the button and it starts, while you control the speed. This may seem like the best decision at first, but if you are serious about developing your body and looking your absolute best, you will NEED to strength train with weights.
4. PRIORITIZE PROTEIN IN YOUR MEALS! This is also crucial to alter body composition and make progress. If you are trying to grow new muscle tissue, men will need around 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Women will need 0.7 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Having your diet in check will speed up the entire process. Focus on whole protein sources from food and NOT powder. This includes meat, eggs, nuts, cheeses, greek yogurt, ect...
5. DO NOT GIVE UP! Way to many people will try to hit the gym a few times a week for a month and not see the results that they are looking for and give up right away! Do not do this. To build a body, or improve physical fitness takes months on top of months that turn into years. Rome was not built in a day.